Friday, July 29, 2011

Talking about age

Hey, I'm 56 and proud of it! I have loved every birthday I've ever had, and I'm not going to stop now. But I guess I am not your typical 56 either. I mean, I have spent my life learning, and I continue to do so. I have never even considered becoming a couch potato. I'm an adventurer. Technology doesn't frighten me, it fascinates me.

Naturally, since I'm thinking about what career I could get into next, I'm looking around on the internet. I just ran across a site that said basically, to be very careful how I speak, so as not to give them the idea that I'm old and set in my ways. Huh? Please let me be as old as I am. It will only take one look at me to see that I'm not 27. But think how positive that may be. It may mean years of experience. It may mean wisdom. It may mean that I grew up when hard work was a very important part of the American dream. Set in my ways?

Frankly, I am somewhat of an efficiency expert. I am constantly looking for new and better ways to do things. I would be more likely to have a problem with an employer who refused to even consider faster, less expensive, and more efficient ways of doing things, than an employer would be to have a problem with me being set in my ways. At the same time, when I'm not the boss, I'm not the boss! Expecting someone to consider my suggestions is not the same thing as insisting they be adopted. The person in charge may have reasons unknown to me for not adopting them.

If I keep chasing this rabbit, I'm bound to catch it. What kind of work should I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment